Preparing for emergency situations and disasters is essential. Some of the most important things that people usually include in their emergency kits or bags are food, first aid kit, and tools like flashlights. But aside from those things, other essential items that you need to have in your bug out bag or emergency kit are the right clothes. These will help ensure your protection from elements and other things that could harm you during an emergency or disaster situation.
When choosing pieces of clothing to include in your emergency kit, you need to think about the environment you are in and what kind of season or weather your area has. You also need to consider clothes that can protect you from extreme weather, harsh UV rays, insect bites, and more.
If you are looking into updating your closet or filling it with pieces of clothing that would be useful for any emergency or disaster situation, then we are happy to help you. Today, we are going to give you a list of the items that you need to have in your closet in case of an emergency or disaster.
Characteristics of Survival Clothing
Before we go to the list, we are going to share with you first some of the important characteristics of survival clothes that you need to consider.
- Durable: Since your survival clothes will be the only clothing you have access to for a while in case of a disaster, you need to choose clothes that are made of sturdy materials. It’s also great to pick ones that are easy to repair.
- Comfortable: Think about wearing a piece of clothing for several days. Well, that can happen when a disaster strike. Therefore, you need to choose clothes that are easy to wear and comfortable, as well. It’s better to pick those that are bigger, allowing you to move easily and make layering an option, too.
- Versatile: It is also important to choose clothes that are adaptable to changing weather, and as well as different situations and different types of terrain.
- Made with natural fibers: It is also important to choose clothes that are made of natural fibers. Avoid choosing those which are made of polysynthetic fabric blends because those types of clothes are more flammable compared to natural fibers.
Important Clothes for Any Emergency and Disaster Situation
After knowing the important characteristics of survival clothing, we are now giving you the list of the essential pieces of clothing that you need to have in your closet for any emergency and disaster situation. Remember that the type of clothing you need to choose depends on your surroundings, such as where you live, the type of climate, the kind of natural disasters that can probably occur in your area, and more. Here are what we can recommend:
Pieces of clothing that can absorb moisture
During emergency situations, it is important to have pieces of clothing that can absorb moisture because it can help in keeping your body warm. They can also protect you from dangerous conditions, such as frostbite, hypothermia, colds, cough, and more. However, it is not very advisable to use cotton clothing because it is not good at getting rid of moisture, even though it is great at absorbing. Try to consider clothes that combine moisture absorption and moisture-wicking capabilities. One example is layered clothing.
Here are some of the best examples we can give on pieces of clothing that absorbs moisture:
ATHLIO 1 or 3 Pack Men’s Long Sleeve Compression Shirts, Active Sports Base Layer T-Shirt, Athletic Workout Shirt: This shirt is made out of Polyester and Spandex. It is a protective compression shirt for the protection of the skin against ultra violet rays. It has a non abrasive athletic fabric and a performance boosting fabric for a quick time dry.
- Tri-Mountain Women’s Lightweight Mesh Jacket: This jacket has contrast mesh along the underarms for enhanced breathability. It is made of polyester and has ultra-cool moisture-wicking technology.
- CQR Flex Stretch Tactical Outdoor Pants: This outdoor pant is made of stretch fabric for superior mobility and comfort. It is also made of Duratex fabric that repels liquids, dirt, and other contaminants, making it perfect for survival situations.
Clothes that can protect you from the sun
During disaster situations, it is also possible for you to be exposed to the UV rays from the sun for a long period, which can be harmful. Considering the extreme weather that the earth is experiencing today, it is essential to store sun-protective clothing in your emergency kit, to keep yourself and as well as your whole family safe from getting sick. When looking for UV protected clothing, try to consider fabrics that have a UPF or ultraviolet protection rating, which absorbs a lot of UV rays. For example, you can opt for breathable shirts with long sleeves, and as well as pants that have the same features.
Here are some of the best clothing for UV protection that we can recommend:
- Pretchic Men’s UPF 50+ UV Sun Protection Outdoor Shirt: This outdoor shirt has long sleeves, and it is made of 100% polyester. It has a UV protection of 50+ UPF rating, which can provide you with excellent protection against ultraviolet rays, helping you stay safe in the sun.
- EZRUN Women’s UPF 50+ UV Sun Protection Shirt: This long sleeve shirt is also made of 100% polyester. It has a permanent UPF 50+ sun protection. It is super-light and dries incredibly fast, as well. It also has textured knits that give it a stand-out look and stealth ventilation.
- Columbia Men’s Rapid Rivers Pant: This pant is made of 98% cotton and 2% elastane. It has an Omni-shade that blocks UVA and UVB rays to help prevent sunburns and long-term skin damage. It also has a tight weave construction with UV absorbent yarns that block the full spectrum of harmful UV rays.
- Coolibar UPF 50+ Women’s Sun Protective Leggings: These leggings are made of nylon and spandex blend. It can block 98% of UV radiation. Its Active Curva fabric will help you achieve optimal comfort and coverage with moisture-wicking and quick-dry technology, which cools your body as you sweat.
Pieces of clothing that can protect you from harmful insects
It is also a must to have some insect-proof pieces of clothing in your closet in case of any emergency or disaster situation. It’s because when you go out and spend lots of time outdoors, especially in the wilderness, you’ll likely encounter insects that are poisonous and could cause severe harm. Therefore, make sure that you also have clothes in your closet that are designed to repel insects. You can opt for shirts with sleeves and as well as long pants that can prevent insect bites.
Here are some of the insect-proof clothing that we can recommend:
- Aventik Mosquito Jacket: If you are sleeping outdoors during a disaster situation, then you can protect yourself from mosquitoes and other insects with this mesh mosquito jacket. Aside from that, it can also give excellent UV protection in outdoor activities. It is made of superfine and high-density polyester mesh yarn to keep you more secured from insects.
- Insect Extreme Performance Outdoor Shirt with Repelling Technology: If you are worried that you will run out of insect repellent lotion and sprays during an emergency situation, then you can opt for this shirt instead. This will no longer require you to spray yourself down constantly as it features Skintex MRIII insect protection, which will protect you against the whole gamut of irritating and dangerous insects.
- RYNOSKIN Mosquito Repellent Pants: These pants are an effective defense against mosquitoes, chiggers, ticks, black flies, ants, and other biting insects. It is cool and comfortable to wear and is chemical-free and breathable.
- Insect Shield Sport Crew Socks: These socks are also made to repel insects, and its repellency lasts the expected lifetime of the product, which is up to 70 washings. These are very durable socks that feature a cushioned sole for comfort.
- Solstice Apparel Women’s Insect Repellent Shirt: This shirt looks like a regular long-sleeved button-down shirt for women. But it is also an insect repellent shirt. Aside from that, it can also give you sun protection of SPF 50.
Aside from clothes, it is also important to have sturdy footwear in your closet for any emergency and disaster situation. In fact, footwear is one of the most essential pieces of equipment that you need in a survival situation. When choosing a good pair of footwear, make sure that they have adequate insulation and good slip-resistant qualities. The soles should be thick enough, as well. Some of the best examples for this are working boots and shoes because most of them have special features, such as slip, oil, and electric shock resistance. You can also opt for shoes or boots that have steel or plastic toes and are puncture-resistant soles.
Here are some of the best footwear we can recommend for emergency and disaster situations:
- Milforce Military Tactical Boots: These boots are great for survival as they are made of fabric and leather, and they have rubber soles, as well. These shoes are water-resistant and have back bumper in toe and heel to enhance the hardness and strength, and for long-lasting support.
- Adidas Outdoor Terrex Swift R2 GTX: You can go all out in all weather with these shoes. They are made of synthetic and mesh and are lightweight, as well. You can tackle tricky terrains and wet weather with ease with these shoes. They are also breathable, durable, and comfortable to wear.
- Salomon Quest Backpacking Boots: These boots feature 4D advanced chassis, which guides the foot, even on the roughest terrain. It can reduce fatigue as you walk longer. It also has a secure grip on all surfaces.
These are some of the items that you need to have in your closet for any emergency and disaster situations. We hope that this list will help you in preparing the pieces of clothing that you can bring in case of calamities.